Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mumbai: Day 3

Our third day in Mumbai was pretty quick and not very exciting. We checked out of our hotel and took a cab back down to Colaba, where we had lunch at this little bakery/restaurant called Indigo Delicatessen. I was very disappointed. I got an overpriced hamburger that was not worth it and ended up making one girl sick. Annoying, but hey, it happens. After lunch, the Kelseys and I decided to take a cab down Marine Drive and find some place to shop. Long story short, we never found that place. We ended up wandering around for a couple hours before I decided to just take a rickshaw to the airport early and hang out there. At least it was air conditioned and I knew there was shopping there.



That is when things started to get a little stressful. I found a rickshaw and the driver said he knew where my hotel was so I could go pick up my luggage. In reality, of course, he didn't. He also didn't speak more than 10 words in English. Obviously, we got lost. After about an hour or an hour and a half, we finally managed to find my hotel. I ran inside, grabbed my luggage, and redirected my driver to take me to the airport.



Fun fact for you all: Mumbai has two airports. One is international, the other is domestic. I never realized this. In the US, generally anyways, an international airport is just a normal airport that is big enough to have some international flight as well. So when my driver asked, "International Airport?" I thought we were both thinking the same place. I got to the airport, paid my driver, and walked to the door. At the departures door in Indian airports you have to show your passport and e-ticket to the guards first. I did that and the guard gave me a really weird look. He told me that I was at the wrong airport and sent me away. I, having no clue what was going on, stood there for a couple minutes trying to make sense of this information. I finally asked one of the guys who stand at departures and direct people. Luckily, he spoke very good English and was able to explain to me that I was indeed at the wrong airport. He flagged down another rickshaw for me and sent me on my way. Of course, the rickshaw driver waited until we were away from the curb before telling me his ridiculous price for taking me to the airport. He apparently thought I was new here. I was so stressed and confused at that point and I just said, "Fine, but drive as fast as you can." He did just that and I managed to get to the airport in plenty of time and with only a slightly embarrassing story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment