Friday, January 29, 2010

Eww

Ugh…I don't think I have ever been so sick in my life. I am the first in my apartment to officially get the whole "Delhi belly" thing. We went to a restaurant for dinner and I just wanted something simple and familiar. I ordered a toasted cheese sandwich (more like a cheese panini than a grilled cheese), tomato soup, and orange juice. The sandwich was really good, the soup was spicy and not very good, and the orange juice was amazing. I thought it was a success. Not so much…

I woke up at about 5 o'clock in the morning with nausea and cramps. I spent the rest of the morning sick to my stomach, carrying a bucket with me around the apartment in case I had an urgent need to vomit. I have never wanted to be home so bad. India is a hard country to be sick in. They don't have Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup, saltine crackers, or easy access to flu medicine. The beds are rock hard and the furniture is wicker. I really just wanted to be home in my bed. Luckily, I have two amazing roommates who took good care of me.

The nausea calmed down sometime in the early afternoon, which was such a relief. A day later, I still feel really weak and can't eat much, but the Delhi belly has passed. It was awful and a very long morning, but I can now say that I have truly experienced India.

No comments:

Post a Comment